Sunday, May 3, 2009

Street Shopping

One of the great things about living in New York is that you don't have to go into a store to find great deals...they're right on the street.  I'm not talking about the people trying to sell you fake Rolexes and Louis Vuitton purses (don't even get me started on Chinatown).  I'm talking about stoop sales.

Instead of yard sales, people in my neighborhood of Windsor Terrace and the adjacent neighborhood Park Slope will have stoop sales.  It's so fun to go walking on a Saturday morning and see all of the different items for sale.  Weekends are also a great time to go perusing for items that people have just decided that they no longer want and have put on the street.  Often times you can find used furniture that is free and up for grabs.  I have seen many a nasty couch.  However, I've also seen some pretty quality items.

On the way back from our gelato outing last week, we encountered a desk and dresser on the street next to ours.  We sure could use some extra drawer space...

So we got a small 3-door dresser in good condition for absolutely free!  Hooray!  Today I spent several hours switching my winter clothes with my summer clothes and rearranging them into the new dresser.   I have never been so happy to put away my winter clothes!!!  Yay for spring in New York!

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

yay, fun! i want to go stoop shopping with you when i come visit!!