Saturday, April 23, 2011

Goodreads Review - Sidewalks in the Kingdom

Sidewalks in the Kingdom: New Urbanism and the Christian Faith (The Christian Practice of Everyday Life Series)Sidewalks in the Kingdom: New Urbanism and the Christian Faith by Eric O. Jacobsen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved this book because it merged two major aspects of my life: christianity and urban planning. It really makes you think about how our cities shape our lives and how our faith should influence not only how we live but where we choose to live. It can be pretty convicting at times, noting how Americans have basically created false gods out of the notions of individualism and freedom as opposed to living among one another and loving each other as Christ loved us.

A little warning, the author is extremely anti-suburban and pretty preachy about it. His tone is sometimes distracting from the points that he's trying to make. So if you're not used to this point of view, it can be pretty shocking. You might want to start with Suburban Nation first. I definitely didn't agree with all of his arguments, but it does make you think. And, as somebody currently living in a city, it makes me think about how I should be seizing opportunities and really becoming part of the community.

On a side note, I love when books you read cite other books/authors you have recently read. On the same page, this book referenced Ray Oldenburg and Robert Putnam, and that just made me happy.

View all my reviews

No comments: