Sunday, April 10, 2011

Goodreads Review - Three Men in a Boat

Three Men in a BoatThree Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read this book as the inaugural book for our recently formed book club. It was a suggestion by Chris's sister, Rebekah, who is in my opinion the greatest reader of all time.

The book, written as a travel guide, relates the story of three friends on a boating trip down the Thames River. It's cleverly written, with witty comments on life, many of which still apply today (the book was first published in 1889). My favorite account was that of the hassles of packing a suitcase, and the "cursedness of the toothbrush."

The book was an enjoyable read, but I think the best part about it is the legacy it has left behind. As it is a travel book, many people have recreated the journey and apparently some of the taverns and pubs mentioned in the book are still open today. That's quite remarkable given that it's been over 120 years.

An excerpt from the toothbrush packing debacle:
"My toothbrush is a thing that haunts me when I'm traveling, and makes my life a misery. I dream that I haven't packed it, and wake up in a cold perspiration, and get out of bed and hunt for it. And, in the morning, I pack it before I have used it, and have to unpack it again to get it, and it is always the last thing I turn out of th ebag; and then I repack and forget it, and have to rush upstairs for it at the last moment and carry it to the railway station, wrapped up in my pocket handkerchief."


View all my reviews

No comments: